About Kurume

Home >About Kurume

While the Chikugo River (which seems to envelop Kurume City) is known by its nickname "Chikugo Jiro" as a violent river, it has also been utilized as a water transportation system. Kurume itself flourished as a castle town under the wealthy Arima Clan who ruled the domain during the Edo Era (1603 - 1868). Various places throughout the city prospered during this time, such as "Temple Towns" (dotted with shrines and temples) and post station towns along the Satsuma (Bonotsu) and Bungo Roads; their grandeur can still be seen today.

After the Meiji Era (1868 - 1912), Kurume developed as the commercial hub of the Chikugo Region, evolving into a "corporate castle town" that many companies (including the three rubber companies of Bridgestone, Moonstar, and Asahi Corp.) call home.

Kurume City is located at a traffic crossroad for Kyushu, linking Fukuoka with: Kagoshima and Kumamoto via the JR Kagoshima Main Line, the Nishitetsu "Tenjin-Omuta" Line, and the Kyushu Expressway; Yufuin and Oita via the Kyudai Main Line and the Oita Expressway; and Nagasaki via the Nagasaki Main Line and the Nagasaki Expressway.

Kurume City's Official Website

Back to Top